April 30th, 2008 -
The Brooklyn Army Terminal was built in 1919 and designed by architect Cass Gilbert. At completion, it was 5 million square feet in size and covered 97 acres of Sunset Park waterfront. It was used during WWII to ship out over 3 million troops, including Elvis. Today it is owned by New York City and used by over 70 tenants. Like Bush Terminal and the South Brooklyn Marine Terminal to the north and the Bay Ridge freight tracks directly south, the Brooklyn Army Terminal is managed by the New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC), a corporation responsible for much of the recent redevelopment of New York City's waterfront.
For more photo essays from Brooklyn's Sunset Park please visit Bush Terminal (2007), the South Brooklyn Marine Terminal (2009), Empire Electric (2009), S & S Machinery (2010) and the 68th Police Precinct (2011).